So - the hour drive went well - no traffic, well, not much anyway. Mom and I got there right on time. Not having any clue what we were in for we went prepared. We had a bag of food - (especially since I couldn't eat before leaving the house until after an hour after whatever it is they had planned for me) as well as some puzzle books and things to do.
So, we check in. We get called back into this room - the arms of the chair are covered, the table in front of the chair is covered. It's not a STERILE room, but they're careful in here. So, I sit. I get to drink this liquid - I'm concerned, since I can't drink much and my taste buds are pretty picky...and you can't throw up nuclear stuff without everyone freaking out. So - I'm a tad nervous. Then they show me the vial of liquid. It's a test tube type bottle, (like when they do a blood test) and it's in a little cup covered in gauze. I ask to see the actual liquid. I am amazed by the amount... If I'd spilled it on the table (besides freaking people out) it would have made a puddle about the size of...my thumbnail. Seriously - it was like 2 DROPS of liquid. The guy put a straw in the tube and told me to start drinking and that as I did he would add a little distilled water to make sure that I got it all. It didn't really taste like anything. WHEW.
That was it. Then I was excused and was to be back in 6 hours for an uptake. What ever that meant. So - mom and I went driving around. We found a goodwill, and found pillowcases for a craft (that we'd looked at both thrift stores in town for and couldn't' find). We went to JoAnn's and found some fun beads for a project. We found a movie theater and went to see Horton. I almost took $7 nap...but managed to stay awake. It was a cute movie, but not one I'd buy (till it's like $5 at Walmart). By then, it was time to be back at the NucMed department. They took me back to another room with machines in it this time. I sat and faced this large round opening, pointed at my neck. It was a scan of sorts to see how much radiation I was emitting. They did it to my leg too. I guess to see the difference, since my neck has the thyroid tissue that would soak up the I 131 (the type of radioactive iodine) more than my leg would. Then I was excused to go home. I'd had "weak leg" moments in the stores, and had mom drive. I napped on the way home, and then hit the couch upon getting home too. And, I've been here ever since. =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








2 comments:
Ugh! What a day and an ordeal to go through this week. I hope it continues to be fairly painless (even if it is annoying). Good luck!
We're praying they get it all the first time, so you NEVER have to do this again!
Keep on truckin'!
Post a Comment