but there is lots to tell.
Yesterday, day 2. I got to the hospital, right at 8 like I'm supposed to check in, and with in a few minutes the same guy that helped me drink the 2 drops of RAI came up to talk to me. It turns out that my dose for the day missed it's plane, is on another plane and a FedEx truck, which should be to the hospital between 9 and 10. They'd still like to work with me, so if I could wait that'd be good. They apologized over and over. I kinda found it funny, but really wished that I had known earlier so that I could have slept in past 6:30 and not waited around in the silly hospital for hours...
While we waited we got to talk to the "radiation safety officer" about the actual ablation treatment. It turns out that as long as things went as expected with the pictures that I wouldn't have to stay in the hospital, and can just come home! I don't even have to be a prisoner up in my room - I can be in the living room! I just have to stay a minimum of an arms length away from everyone. He explained was kind of like when you have the flu, or a really bad cold - you keep every one away from you because you are contagious. Same kind of thing, more or less. We can hang out and watch movies - we just can't cuddle while we do it.
I can't let anyone use my bathroom for a week. I have to flush the toilet 2-3 times every time I pee/poop. I should shower 2-3 times a day for the first few days. I should suck on sour candies every 15 min. during the day - and multiple time during the night. I should drink water as if I was trying to become a lake - and pee as if I wasn't. I can't share my eating utensils or cup with anyone, and should rinse my dishes right after use. I'll wear gloves to use the computer. I'll launder my clothes and my linens separately from everyone else. (Can't think of anything else)
Once 10:00 came, things moved fast - I got taken back to the same room as before but this time I got to swallow 10 capsules rather than liquid stuff. No biggie really. Then I was excused to go home.
Today: we got there at 8 and I was whisked away for pictures about 10 min later. It was kinda like having an MRI or CT scan - just lay on a moving bed and let the machine do the work. The results showed that the tumor was located only in my thyroid bed (YAY) and everything else looked good. It killed my back to lay there that long - 30 min for the first set, 15 for the second. Then a 15 min break while they decided if they needed any more shots. They did - so add another 30 min set.
So - tomorrow's the day. The good news? 2 hours after I drink the RAI I can eat ANYTHING I want!!!!! WA HOOOOOO! I'm looking forward to: pita chips, Doritos, PIZZA, bread sticks, DIET COKE, tortilla soup (love ya Heidi!), oatmeal choc. chip cookies (love ya Tif!), CHOCOLATE...just about anything!! Although I think that (even though I loved them) garlic potatoes, garlic chicken, applesauce bars and spaghetti are out for a while. =)
I've reached the valley in between the mountains - now begins the climb up the next one!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment