So - I was so busy in early Feb. that I didn't get around to posting about my poor BJ's trip to the ER. So, lets go relive that day, then I'll tell you about last night. Don't worry - it'll all make sense in a bit.
After fussing about a sore tummy for a day or two, BJ complains that he doesn't feel up for going to school. His pain is too bad to concentrate and has been growing worse. He doesn't feel like eating breakfast. Isn't really nauseous, it just hurts really bad. I ask the general questions: When did you poop last? this morning? ok - solid, watery? details boy! "That's gross mom!". Well, I know - but still - you have to ask. I have him lay out on the floor and point out the pain...it's all over, but if he had to pick a spot it would be lower right. *sigh* So, I call the doc's office to make an appointment. They ask why. I say so. Turns out they won't give out appointments for that, you have to go right to the ER. (I'm less than a week out of my thyroid surgery mind you at this point (and still look like Frankenstein) and don't really WANT to go to the ER). I hang up with the appointment center. I call right back and hope for a different operator. (yes, I'm sneaky like that) I tell them he has tummy pain (rather than the more scary "abdominal pain"). Turns out they don't have any appointments for about a week anyway. Long story short, pain gets worse, we go to the ER. They immediately guess appendicitis, have to get a blood draw so they just do an IV in prep for surgery so they don't have to stick him twice. They also want a ultrasound. Again, long story short, the blood work came back fine. No elevated white blood count, which means no infection. Ok, weird. The ultrasound also came back "fine" (although the tech and the radiologist straight out said they weren't sure they FOUND the appendix (which is normal, as it is small and hard to find if it is not inflamed) but the doc cam back and said they had a fine view and it looked great.) (dumb head!) So, they sent us home. Gave BJ some meds for tummy spasms and called it good. I was still unsure of things, but figured I'd watch him and see how he did. The pain ended up improving little by little over about a week and a half or so, and we haven't had any problems since.
I actually have pictures - ready to post! - of that lovely event. Isn't he just SO cute?? (how in the heck do I get them to post side by side??? ARGGGGHHHHH! SOMEONE has GOT to SHOW me how to do the picture thing.)


So, fast forward to the present. Last night. After dinner. BJ is upset about tummy pain. Pretty bad. I ask if he ate too much. I asked the general pooping questions. Told him to let me know if it got worse. Bed time comes - it's worse. He doesn't feel good. I suggest going to bed, taking some deep breaths and going to sleep, come and get me if it gets worse, or if he gets nauseous or any of that good stuff. Long story short (which it looks like I'm not all that good at...) he's up a few times and is crying and nauseous, wanting to go the ER - even knowing what they will do to him when we get there. Poor baby!
Again, another long story short, they are baffled. They don't think it's appendicitis - the blood count is fine, the pee test is fine. The pain reliever they put in his IV helped him out (he slept most of the time we were in the hospital). They say it didn't make him sleepy, but everything I find online about med suggests that drowsiness is a side effect. (have I mentioned how much I love doctors?) The ER doc doesn't feel that what we are dealing with is a emergent situation, doesn't want to put him through all the testing tonight (CT scan, ultrasound etc) but wants us to follow up in the morning with our regular doc. Apparently they hold out next day appointments for the ER patients, and they'll call me with an appointment time. As I write this, it is 10 am and I haven't heard a peep from them yet. I've tried calling them once, only to get the "we're busy" message. I will try again in a few minutes.
A side note, and the one that actually has me concerned - my brother had what they call "chronic appendicitis" where you have appendicitis symptoms, although not quite as severe, that pass after a few days to a week, and then come back randomly. I have mentioned this to the (oh so wise) doctors, but of course, they know better. It does make me more likely to PRESS for the CT scan at the regular doc visit.
Oh the joy!








3 comments:
Were you able to go with him, in your "glowing" state? It's so frustrating to me to see witnesses of how medicine is an art! Especially since it all costs so dang much! I hope they figure something out soon. Poor kid. btw, did your brother have his appendix out?
That funny Laura, Yeah were you "glowing"? You are a good mom and I love how your kids love you. Did you get any sleep? Can't wait to hear what the doc says.....
Post a Comment