Monday, December 10, 2007

Are you busy?

You couldn't possibly be - could you?? Not at this time of year! Impossible!

Okay blogger friends - I've gone a whole day without being able to read any of your blogs!! Where are you? What are you up to? What fun things are you guys doing to enjoy this wonderful time of year??

For me, that is easy. I am busy, for sure! But, I am really enjoying this Christmas season. We had our ward Christmas party last Friday night, and while it wasn't the best I've ever attended it wasn't the worst either. Basically we had dinner and some singing and a short presentation by the primary kids - a BEAUTIFUL song called "Could I hold the baby" - which I've gotten a copy of the music and have learned to play (with mistakes here and there, but I'm getting better!)

Besides that I've been enjoying my Christmas music more this year than before. Maybe it's because it's that the almost ex (who does NOT enjoy this holiday season) isn't around and I am more free to listen to Christmas music both at home and in the car.

I haven't gotten to any holiday making of treats yet...I keep thinking "I should do that today" but it never seems to happen. I wonder why! I should actually do it tonight, now that the kids are in bed, but I'm just too tuckered out from the day. I'm feeling less sick, and I didn't have to take any of the muscle relaxers for my neck today, and my cold didn't get any worse (maybe I can beat it!) so I think I'm just gonna enjoy relaxing a little tonight (while printing minutes and agendas for my next RS Presidency meeting and reports for the kids homework). I'll find time for it - Christmas just wouldn't be the same with out English Toffee and Peanut Brittle to remind me of home.

I'm also very much enjoying our family tradition of reading Christmas stories every night before bed. In years past we've just had a small collection of winter/Christmas books to read from - but the collection keeps growing each year and we have a good selection this time around. We also have a book called "The 24 days of Christmas" which has a scripture, a song, and a story for each day in December. We've never done more than a handful of days from this book - partly because of time, partly because of poor memories, partly because the kids weren't old enough, partly because of the almost ex. But this year we are doing it. We read the scripture, then gather at the piano while I plunk out just the melody of the song while we sing, then we read the story. After that we read one of our Christmas books. It can make for a long night of reading (maybe that is why my throat is more scratchy feeling than normal, huh??) but I have really enjoyed sharing some wonderful stories with the kids. And, they don't really know any of the Christmas songs, (most are from hymns) so this is a really good way for them to learn them.

All in all, I'm very much enjoying the Spirit of the Season. I know that it is a crazy busy time for everyone, but please don't forget to stop, take a breath, and enjoy it! There is a reason for the season (such a cliche!) but I think we can sometimes get so caught up in the hoop-la that we forget that it really can be an enjoyable experience!

Merry Christmas! (Now, get on your blogs and share with me!!)

7 comments:

Kyle and Marci said...

Hey you! Merry Christmas and I'll have you know that I am blogging like crazy!!

I need to do my baking but I don't want to do it twice, so I'm waiting till it gets closer. I can't wait... Santa will be here two weeks from tonight!

Jori said...

YIKES!! That you are!! But I had no idea you'd joined the blogger world!! I love it!!

So - I take it back! =)

Anonymous said...

I've been blogging like crazy... I've only missed a handful of days this month... You're not checking out *MY* blog... Hrrrmmppphhh....

Miss you!

Jori said...

Ok, so it seems I've gotten myself in trouble.

Really all I was saying was that I'm a little on the bored side tonight. While relaxing is good, I was hoping to find fun things to read from my friends. But I'd already read everything everyone had posted (Yes, including you Barb!)

So - stop pickin on me!!!!! LOL

Tina said...

My reason? I decided no more blogging on Sunday...insane, I know. Maybe by tomorrow I'll actually have something to blog about...
And Baking?? What's that??

Unknown said...

I love this time of year but it really doesn't lend well to my blogging. I promise I'll get better after the first of the year!

I love Christmas songs! My husband has told me in years past that I couldn't start listening to Christmas music until after Thanksgiving, but this year even he was singing along when I plugged in the Christmas music before Thanksgiving. It's one of my favorite times of the year!

Ashley :)

sariqd said...

Funny, Jori! Have you seen my last post? It's about having too many thoughts to blog about and not enough time. LOL! Once the ward activity is over, then I'll start blogging and being cheerier about thing. haha Meanwhile and UNTIL THEN - patience girl!!!