So, today begins another journey. Another hunting trip. A search for the blessings in a trial.
I got the results of the biopsy today. It wasn't good news. I officially have cancer....Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma to be exact.
I've been told that if you had to have a cancer, this would be the kind to get. It's very survivable, fairly easy to treat, and seems to not be that big of a deal. Well, as far as cancer goes anyway...
So - before anyone freaks out from the mention of the big scary "C" word - I'm not dying. Not gonna die (at least from this lumpy bump in my neck, which I'm tempted to name just to be silly! lol). I'll be going in for a total thyroidectomy on the 28th. Pre-op is Tuesday (the 15th).
The steps for treatment are the thyroidectomy and then 4-6 weeks later to have a radioactive iodine therapy treatment. Apparently, thyroid tissue is the only tissue in the body that absorbs iodine. So, they make up some deadly iodine and put it in me (I'm not sure how...that's one of my many questions for the doc) and any thyroid tissue that is left in the body will absorb the nasty iodine and *insert dying sound effects here* they die. After that, I'm good to go I guess. I'll have to take thyroid hormone pills for ever, which will be interesting cause I've never been a good pill person....I forget more than I remember, and they just aren't worth it. So - another life skill to learn. Taking daily meds. *blech*
A lot to swallow in one day. I hope I made sense in saying all that. I've kinda put it off cause I really don't know what to write. Feel free to email with questions (rather than comment, it'll be easier to answer that way).
Here is a good link if anyone wants to read more about it:
http://www.endocrineweb.com/capap.html (a lot of good info on the whole site).
It's funny, this is another thing to add to the list of blessings from the car accident (which I'll have to post about sometime for those that don't know the details....)
Overall I'm doing pretty good. I've had a SUPER busy day - and will have another tomorrow, so I've not had too much time to digest. I waffle between being scared (mostly just because it's the big scary "C" word) and being totally fine because it all sounds like no big deal. I worry about the kids and what they worry about. I worry about the details of having 2 overnight (or more) hospital stays in the next 6 weeks. I worry more about the details than about me. I suppose it really comes down to the fact that I know my Father in Heaven has things pretty well planned out, and that this can be just another opportunity to grow, to learn and to find blessings. He loves me, and knows I'm going to be okay, no matter what. He sees fit to add this experience to my life at this time, so it must be okay and I must be able to handle it. If I didn't know He had so much faith in me, I think I might loose it!
So, my eyes are tired, I can't believe it's so late! Too many things to do and not near enough time.
Thanks guys for being my friends. For the support you offer, for the love you give. I can't tell you what a difference you all have made in my life, especially this last year. I couldn't do any of this without you.
Oh - that reminds me. I forgot to blog this morning about school...I had my first class last night. Long story short: I was supposed to be on the wait list for the class. Since it is a computer class and each person needs a computer, there is a limited number of seats - 24 to be exact. I was supposed to be #4 on the wait list. Turns out there were 13 people on the wait list (and all of them showed up) so there were 37 people in the class room!! He suggested that he might be able to convince the dean to add another class since we had at least enough for half a class. After class, I discovered that somehow my name never got added to the wait list, so if I were to wait, I'd be 13th in line...chances are 13 people won't drop the class, so it's looking like I won't make it into that one. Which, I am disappointed about, but seems to be a blessing all in itself. We just got Gabe's basketball schedule and all but 1 of his games are on Tues and Thurs nights when I'll be in school. Also, add to that this whole cancer thing. Maybe it's good I won't have this extra class right now!
Ok - updates over. Goodnight, sleep tight and talk to you soon! =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








1 comment:
Wow, Jori. Once again, I am amazed at your strength and courage and faith in trials. Everything is going to be just fine...as you already know. My Mother-in-law had her thyroid removed years ago and takes the meds. If you ever want to pick her brain or just talk to her, I'm sure she would love to talk to you. We are praying for you...
Post a Comment