So I totally feel like a slacker. I haven't written in a long time - which makes me feel like procrastinating even more, since I don't know what to write about. So much has happened (and yet not) in the few weeks that I've not written. It feels too big to catch up on, and yet not right to not catch up on...Silly me, I know...
So - My neck is healing from the surgery. The scar is VERY visible to me, but I guess doesn't look that bad...The steri strips did a number on me - I told everyone they ITCHED, but it never looked bad till the first day I went without them. I have scabs from where the edges were - which of course doesn't lend to the "looking nice" when I look in the mirror. LOL Really, I'm not that worried about it - I just don't want it to completely stand out.
I had my appointment with the endocrinologist (yea! I finally spelled it right!) on Monday. Basically he did a review of what I already knew (thanks to my ability to sponge information from every source I can) and let me know that he would be the one to manage my medications after the radiation treatments and check the blood work and adjust hormone levels as necessary. He referred me to the nuclear medicine department so that I could go and start the process for setting up the treatments. They called this morning. Looks like I'll be starting the process on the 17th of March - which means the 2 weeks before I'll have to stop my thyroid meds and start the Low Iodine Diet (LID). That leads to the lovely process of becoming totally hypothyroid (which I'm told patients refer to as hypo-hell). They said to expect to feel down right lousy for most of that 2 weeks. Then, there will be many, many trips to the hospital as they do small doeses of the radioactive iodine for what they call an upscan. I guess they give a low dose which lights up any thyroid tissue left in the body so that they can see how much is left, which governs how much of the real treatment they give out I guess. All of that seems to be a detailed process, or that's how it sounded when she called me. My mom will be coming again, but closer to the time of treatment. I am not looking forward to feeling like a train ran me over...or asking for more help during that time...I really feel like I have asked people to watch my kids WAY too much - and it brings on a panicy feeling to have to ask for so much more... I know people are willing to help, I just wish I didn't need it so much.
On to brighter subjects! BJ started his basketball season this last week. His first game was so much fun to watch. We got totally beaten (the score was 9 to 26) but our boys played pretty good. BJ made 8 of the 9 points for our team. I was estatic! He's never played before, for real. He's helped on Gabe's team a little here and there, but never really played on his own team or in a real game! It was so much fun. I couldn't glow any brighter with pride over my boy! His second game was last night, again they lost, but again I was so proud of our team. BJ made one basket, and got a couple of fouls. He played so good - especially concidering that earlier in the day while playing ball in the street with Gabe he sprained his right middle finger pretty badly. I'm not sure it's not broken actaully, but since all the doc would do is splint it or tape it to another finger, I've already taken care of that and he's just got to live with taped fingers all day for a while. It didn't seem to bother him while he played ball last night -he just went on like it was no big deal at all! What a guy!
Lucy is very excited it is Valentines day tomorrow. Her class is having a party and I took her to Safeway last night to pick out the cookies we were assigned to bring. She's made out some fun Tinkerbell valentines for her friends and is anxious to give them out.
Last but not least: The whole family is excited about our new computer! I've been saving up for a little bit - and with the money I got from selling my parrot we have a new family computer. Our last one is about 6 years old, and a complete dinasaur. It doesn't really do much - and is in the boys room, so Lucy doesn't get to use it ever. It has been so much fun the last few days teaching her how to use it and showing her some fun games to play (where I can sneak in some fun learning!! YAY!) If any of you have some fun ideas for sites to let the kids browse on, or play learning games on, could you pass them on to me? I'd sure appreciate it!!
I think this catches us up pretty much...although I'm sure I've left out a lot too. LOL Basically we're alive and well, happy and healthy...well mostly anyway!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








4 comments:
My kids really like Up To Ten Kids. That's the only one I'm familiar with.
As for helping with kids... Talk to me about it!
Me too. Don't hesitate to ask...
Please I am wanting to do whatever I can. Isn't it fun going to see your kids do their best! Your kids are amazing and their testimonies blow me away. You are a great mom and friend.
My kids like www.funbrain.com
And put me on your list of people to ask, too....
Post a Comment