Thursday, September 6, 2012

Premature Ventricle Contractions

So - I know I haven't posted in FOREVER...but, I figured this might be a good way to update every one about the latest going's on in my life.  That and we have a chatty family who likes to know all the goings on. ;)  (can't get blamed for not telling people if I put it out there for every one to read, right?)
To cut to the chase, and explain the title of my post - I have been diagnosed as having premature ventricle contractions, or PVC for short. 

While I was on vacation I began noticing my heart doing funny things.  Like flip flopping, skipping a beat, having a super strong (like beat out of my chest) beat.  If I was standing up, I'd get "almost" dizzy.  The symptoms would last for a heart beat, literally.  But it felt WEIRD.  Things like "almost" getting a headache, or "almost" getting dizzy, or an "almost" tight feeling in my chest...

Rewind a moment - I had noticed a skipped beat symptom once or twice over the last few years, but it was short lived, and didn't happen again, so I didn't do anything about it.  Those of you that know me well probably know my dislike of going to the doctors... That coupled with the fact that I knew I couldn't really explain my symptoms, and most likely couldn't do anything to SHOW them to the doc, I didn't go in.

So - on vacation, (which for those that didn't hear was fabulous!!) I noticed it on the drive to CA.  I had mom feel my pulse and she could feel the skipped beats.  Fast forward to my time in Utah (not even 2 weeks later) and I felt it again.  It woke me up at night.  And then the next night.  And then I got home, slept in my own bed, and woke up a few times that night with symptoms - a skipping and a faint beat that was so faint it seemed as if I didn't even heart beat for a while.  It was scary enough to get me to go in that next morning. 

At the doctors, my heart (of course) did not perform (it's shy!) for the doctors office, who did a 30 second EKG.  So then sent me up to a cardiac center and I got hooked up with a 48 hour heart monitor, which recorded my heart beat the entire time.

Today I got the results.  PVC.  Long story short, we don't worry about them for now.  It can happen in a healthy heart for no reason.  It can happen for mineral imbalances (for which I tested fine).  And it can also happen in a unhealthy heart.  I get to go have an Echo-cardiogram on Tuesday, (where they should be able to see a healthy heart! (cross fingers)) and we'll go from there. 

For more info on PVCs you can read about them here: Wikipedia for PVC or here: Mayo Clinic for PVC

And there you have it.  :)  Just what I need added to my crazy busy life! :)

3 comments:

Crissylady said...

Glad you're ok! I totally know what you're talking about, I've had the skippy thing sporadically for years now. It's never frequent enough to worry about, only happens like once a year. Plus my mom says hers does the same thing and she was diagnosed with a slight murmur. So glad you're getting checked and staying safe! Miss you!!

Eve said...

It's amazing how many people I've talked to that have these symptoms! Mine started when I was pregnant with Steven. But my symptoms only occur about once or twice a month, so when I was strapped with a 24 hour monitor it didn't read any problems. I heard it can also be a hormonal imbalance as well. I'm glad you got it checked. Keep a close eye on it! Love you!

Joel said...

Hi Jori. Joni's had a variation of PVC, Atrial Fibrillation, for several years now. Pretty weird when you realize your body's doing things you don't want it to. Probably nothing to worry too much about though. Just continue to not be a smoker!